Monday 26 January 2015

I HURT

Dear Arthur TheBad Airedale:

I hurt.

When I was little, I used to run.  Oh, how I ran!  Everything was a blur because I never stopped.








The world was my Biteyface then!  So many smells, so many squirrels to chase.  There were no toys safe from me, not even a Kong.






Whenever I saw my 2Legs family, my heart burst every time.  How I loved them!  And they took me on walks that went on forever.  Sidewalks, parks, hills, streams, forests - we did it all together.









They let me go on rides in the Zoomer with them, and when the window was open I stuck my head out and the wind made my lips and my ears go flurpy-flap.



Every day was happy.

But lately I hurt.

I don’t run much anymore.  It even hurts to walk…I can only move on three legs.

And there’s more.  





Something inside me hurts bad.  It hurts deep inside.  Sometimes it hurts so bad I feel crazy.  Yesterday my young 2Legs touched me in a sore spot while I was napping and I screamed and then snapped at her.

Even worse than the pain inside me was seeing the look on her face.  I was so sad, but didn’t know how to say I was sorry.





The older 2Legs keep looking at me and talking quietly.  And I don’t feel like eating much of anything, not even tasty treats.

Arthur, I’m tired.  I feel as if I need to go somewhere, but I’m too tired to get up and go there.

I’m so tired, Arthur.  And I’m afraid.

Calvin


Dear Calvin:

I know.

I know you’re tired and I know you hurt.

Soon it will be over.  You will go to a place where it’s warm.  The wind blows gently and the grass is soft and has jumping things.  You won’t believe the smells.

You’ll make new friends right away.  You can play Biteyface all you want, or not at all.

The water in the stream is cold and clear, and you can splash all you want.

You will never be lonely, and you’ll never be sad.

But first you must cross a Bridge to get there.

Your 2Legs will help you.  They will take you to the Doctor who has looked at you before and scratched your ears.  They will be crying, because they do not want to say goodbye to you.

But they have to say goodbye to you to help you get over the Bridge.

So they will be with you when the Doctor sticks you with a Sleep Pin.  It will hurt for a second, then you will feel woozy and go to sleep.

As you fall asleep, they will tell you how much they love you.  They will say it over and over.  As you close your eyes, make sure that you kiss their hand to let them know it’s okay.  They love you so very much and need to know you'll be okay.

Don’t be afraid.

I will be with you when you awake and show you everything.





And someday I will bring your 2Legs to you so you will be together always.  Always together.

So sleep.  Sleep, my Little One.

Love, Arthur TheBad Airedale







6 comments:

  1. Beautiful - Thank-you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful tribute Arthur to Calvin ,a brave loved Aireboy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has brought back such sad memories of the times I've had to say goodbye to my amazing Airedale companions. God speed, Calvin. Your family will always hold you in their hearts and they'll join you one day. Love, Christin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am typing through tears. Our Airedale is our baby and from the day I heard there were Airedale pups available, I have dreaded the day we have to make that decision for him. Heiko will be 11 in May. He has been through some medical challenges and has slowed down some. Some times not slow at all. I am saving this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Arthur, this comes after the fact. Gracie was not an Airedale but American Cocker Spaniels also live their lives with/for their human family members. When that time came, and she was ready her Mom was not and is still not. But Gracie had so much pain. For her sake, it was necessary. She went over the Bridge and started to play immediately. That is the one good part of it all. No more pain. Just fun and games again. Thank you so much, Arthur, for your comfort.

    ReplyDelete